- Many, if not most, South African companies have been the victim of theft committed by their own employees.
- Many South African companies have experienced losses as a result of third-party computer crime.
- Cover for theft committed by an Insured’s own employees is typically excluded from most insurance policies. There are exceptions such as Money policies.
- According to the IOL article published on 9 September 2011, Commercial crime hike ‘a big concern’, the incidence of white collar crime had increased by 76.5% since 2004.
- The effects of the economic downturn are likely to have an ever increasing effect over the next few years resulting in dramatic increases in the level of white collar crime.