- The party causing the damage or injury is usually referred to as the first party.
- The person to whom the damage or injury is done is the third party.
- For insurance purposes, some people might not be considered to be third parties
- People close to the Insured – close enough for the Insured to benefit from the policy’s indemnity.
- e.g. the Insured’s employees or members of the Insured’s household
- The second party shares in the first party’s misfortune, e.g. the Insurer.
Introduction to Liability